- Directors must complete educational courses administered by the Condominium Authority of Ontario.
- The courses must be completed within six (6) months of being elected to the board.
- The courses must be completed at least once every seven (7) years.
- People who are already serving as directors on November 1, 2017 are exempt from this education requirement, unless they are subsequently re-elected or appointed.
- The condominium corporation is to reimburse the director for the cost associated with the courses.
- At the current time there are on-line training modules on the Condominium Authority of Ontario’s website, but these modules do not count toward the actual training that will be required.
A person running for election to the board disclose the following either in writing at the time the person gives notice of their intention to run as a candidate, or orally at the meeting at which they are running for election:
- Whether the person is a party to any legal action to which the condominium corporation is a party, and a brief description of the action;
- Whether a spouse, child or parent of the person, or an occupier of the unit which is owned by the person, their spouse, or who occupies the unit with the person, is a party to any legal action to which the condominium corporation is a party, and a brief description of the action;
- Whether the person has been convicted of an offence under the New Act or the regulations within the preceding ten years, and a brief description of the offence;
- Whether the person has any direct or indirect interest in a contract or transaction to which the condominium corporation is a party;
- Whether the person has any direct or indirect interest in a contract or transaction to which the declarant is a party;
- If the person is an owner and their common expenses are in arrears for sixty (60) days or more;
- If the person is not an owner of unit in the condominium corporation;
- If the person does not occupy a unit in the condominium corporation, and;
- Any other information that a by-law of the condominium corporation might require.
No one is exempt from the disclosure obligations, although people who are already directors when the New Act came into force are subject to lesser disclosure obligations.